Location(City/Country):Lustenau / Austria
Year (Design/Construction):2017 / 2019
Area (Net/Gross):1900 m2 / -
Operational Carbon emissions (B6) kgCO2e/m2/y:-
Embodied Carbon emissions (A1-A3) kgCO2e/m2:-
- Efficient design adapted to the local climate conditions
- Optimal daylight during the core hours of the kindergarten in the morning
- Sheltered outdoor play areas
- Hybrid concrete and timber structure reduces the embodied carbon
- High-quality, low carbon, and regionally available materials
- Energy-efficient building technology systems and use of renewable energy
The new Engelbach kindergarten is an unique, unmistakable world for children, located between the Grindel Canal and Hasenfeldstrasse. A place with a homey character that is characterized by a feel of great relaxation. The kindergarten combines the potential of the place with the requirements of modern pedagogy.
The outdoor space plays an important role in the design. The new kindergarten is located away from the street and creates space for a high quality design, publicly usable space. The maximized outdoor area with the children’s playground and public playground is orientated to the Grindel Canal, providing a high-quality adventure space in the countryside for children and residents of the area.
On the upper floor – on the “Belletage” – the group rooms are equally on one level. The five units with circulation space and communication zone, function as an independent area within the building. All groups are orientated consistently towards the southeast, which ensures optimal exposure and daylight during the core hours of the kindergarten in the morning.
Sheltered play terraces expand the functionality of the rooms behind, create a pleasant transition space and convey a strong relationship to the surrounding high-quality outdoor play area. The simple and straightforward organization of the new kindergarten facilitates orientation and forms the ideal conditions for communicative and playful learning.
The external and internal appearance of the building is characterized by a delicate architectural language. Natural local wood and windows framed in metal characterize the design.
The material concept in the interior creates a mood appropriate to its use. Solid surfaces made of wood, mineral materials, and carefully coordinated colours enrich the room with their pleasant look and feel, and leave the children and educators enough freedom to develop themselves.
The building was built as a mixed construction of wood and concrete, which can meet today’s energetic and environmental requirements. A basic structure of stiffening core walls is supplemented by prefabricated timber wall and ceiling elements.
The kindergarten is characterised using high-quality, low carbon, and regionally available materials, energy-efficient building technology systems, and the use of renewable energy.
- Heating requirement: 12.1 kWh/m2
- Overall energy efficiency factor: 0.53 (A++)
- Heating system: geothermal heat pump
- Ventilation: Comfort ventilation with heat recovery
- Builder: Market town of Lustenau
- Project management Client: Ing. Eugen Amann, Building Authority of the Municipality of Lustenau
- Architecture: Innauer Matt Architects ZT GmbH, Bezau
- Color design: Monika Heiss, Color & Design, Dornbirn
- ÖBA: Planning forge BM Ing. Wolfgang Fetty, Lustenau
- Statics: Merz Kley Partner ZT GmbH, Dornbirn
- HSL planning: GMI Ing. Peter Messner GmbH, Dornbirn
- Electrical planning: Ludwig Schneider electrical planning, Egg
- Building physics: DI Günter Meusburger, Schwarzenberg
- Landscape architecture: Stadtland, DI Thomas Loacker, Hohenems
- Street design: Traffic engineers Besch and Partner KG, Feldkirch
- Drainage planning: water plan – Fischer & Herda ZT Gbmh, Hohenems
- Photographer: Adolf Bereuter