We have a fantastic new opportunity at Leonardo UK for a Sustainability Lead within the Helicopters Division UK. Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees globally (Italy, the UK, the US, and Poland), of which 7,500 are based in the UK.
In the UK, Leonardo is committed to sustainability as a force for business transformation and an enabler to improve our competitiveness. Leonardo is integrating sustainability into all aspects of the business to create long-term value.
Accordingly, Leonardo has developed a sustainability strategy across three core pillars: People, Planet and Prosperity, aligned with the UN SDGs and the Science Based Targets and tailored with a suite of projects and ESG KPIs to achieve our goals.
We strive to reduce our impact on people and planet whilst seeking opportunities to create positive change, by developing innovative and efficient products and services, listening to the great ideas and recommendations from our people, and collaborating with our value chain.
[Note: This role is open for potential secondment opportunities.]
We are looking for a Sustainability Lead to deliver our Sustainability Strategy agenda in Helicopters Division UK and be the go-to person for sustainability projects on UK Helicopter Division sites.
The role will lead the Divisional Sustainability IPT (Integrated Project Team) with representatives from all core functions including commercial, engineering, HR, procurement, facilities management and HSE.
This role will help develop & deliver our Sustainability plan and embed sustainability within our teams and across the lifecycle of our projects and products.
We need a collaborator to work with the legal entity, corporate and Divisional teams to influence the following scope:
- People: Help to embed sustainability across Leonardo by enthusing employees to help drive sustainability into a new business-as-usual – empowering all employees to see their role through the lens of climate, nature and people; work closely with our Inclusion & Diversity team; coach and expand existing sustainability training
- Planet: Drive our Climate Action in line with our Science Based Targets, especially the influence of our Scope III emissions with Engineering and Procurement, and develop our existing carbon reduction plans (Scopes I and II) working closely with site Facilities, HSE and Indirect Procurement. Understand our energy, GHG emissions, waste/recycling, material, chemical and water management. Identify areas to create positive change for people and planet. Develop the best use of systems data through our ESG platform.
- Customer Chain: Working closely with commercial teams, understand and align with the sustainability strategies and contracting principles of our key Customers (including climate targets, social value and prosperity ambitions, developing our customer partnerships)
- Supply Chain: Working closely with procurement team to integrate with our own objectives, adapt for our SMEs, and develop the supply chain sustainability strategy. Maintaining ethical and transparent contracting throughout the supply chain. Developing our supplier partnerships and helping our supply chain work on their own sustainability journey.
- Design, Innovation & Technology; Work with CTO, IT and engineering to align with our digitalisation and technology route-maps to show the future proofing of our business; promoting “Design for Sustainability” with climate, nature and people in focus.
- Risk: Help to identify and mitigate Sustainability and ESG related risks
- Project Management: Develop, coordinate and deliver projects related to the above – including developing the business case and horizon scanning for opportunities
What you will do
- Drive the sustainability plan implementation for the UK Helicopter Division and align with the UK, other Divisions and global organisation
- Be the figurehead for our Sustainability activities in the UK Helicopter Division, both internally and externally, and grow subject matter expertise
- Play a lead role by identifying and managing UK Helicopter Division projects that fulfil our sustainability strategy
- Identify key areas of activity to drive change that will reduce our environmental impact, deliver greater value for people and planet, develop customer relationships, and positively influence the supply chain.
- Grow an effective Sustainability narrative into the UK Helicopter Division using targets, and KPIs
- Grow the UK Helicopter Division Sustainability network and harness the value that is added from our Central Leonardo ESG teams and our 3rd party ESG partners.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Help deliver the UK Helicopter Division sustainability plan, developed in conjunction with Central Leonardo and Divisional Sustainability teams and influenced by key external stakeholders (including customers & suppliers)
- Embedding sustainability in to the UK Helicopter Division’s day to day ways of working across all functions and projects
- Collaborate with counterpart in other UK Divisions.
- Grow and raise the profile of the sustainability resources to improve our UK Helicopter Division competitiveness and our people’s competencies to recognise the added value that sustainability brings to the company whilst managing the risks and opportunities that this will bring.
- Working closely with all functions to ensure key sustainability activities are integrated into their ways-of-working and the end result can be communicated as One Leonardo plan.
- Develop and deliver a plan to build sustainability & Social value into our commercial activity.
What we are looking for
- A passion for Sustainability and a desire to create positive change
- The ability to work in a fast-evolving space to deliver near-term actions and long-term goals
- A fantastic communicator with the ability to work collaboratively across teams internally and with external parties
- Ability to translate a growing sustainability agenda into a plan relevant to the UK Helicopter Division, and to drive the implementation through integrated planning and the right suite of ESG KPIs
- Expert project and stakeholder management skills, keeping multiple work streams moving forward at the same time
- Confidence to bring best-in-class practices, and the narrative, to all levels of the business including senior leadership
- Proven influence to develop teams, networks and project delivery
- Excellent verbal, written and organisational skills
- An understanding of how culture, diversity and inclusion plays a critical role in building a sustainable business
- Ability to think creatively to develop innovative solutions
- A foundation in Sustainability/ESG governance, regulations and compliance is desirable including working on Sustainability frameworks, as well as ESG and environmental impact projects
- Member of a relevant professional body such as the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) and/or educated to a degree level in a related field
- Experience in resolving sustainability challenges in large, complex organisations
- Experience with customer and supplier management, especially the development of ESG/sustainability subject matter into contracts, an the resulting ways-of-working
- Understanding of how sustainability relates to different parts of an organisation
- Cross-functional/organisational relationship-building skills
- Strong communications background
- Experience working in a global organisation
GB – Yeovil – Lysander Rd