BDP is a quality brand and our studios are places where engineers, architects and other consultants work together to apply new solutions to engineering challenges, creating some of the most captivating, sustainable and award winning buildings in the UK, Ireland and internationally. Our staff are supported to achieve their full potential and are encouraged to develop their skills across a broad range of activities.
Our Sustainability Group provides a wide range of services across building design to both internal and external clients. Our current suite of services include:
- Sustainability strategies and bespoke frameworks
- Net zero carbon strategies (operational and embodied carbon)
- Environmental assessments, including BREEAM, LEED, SKA and WELL
- Production of planning documentation, including Sustainability and Energy Statements for Planning
- Ecological assessment and consultancy
- In-use and post-occupancy evaluation and building optimisation
- Knowledge sharing and upskilling of the practice
- BDP internal environmental management
We are seeking people who revel in the opportunity to work on challenging, high profile projects in our stimulating, inter-disciplinary design studios. You will have a unique opportunity to work on a diverse range of challenging projects in sectors including workplace, healthcare, education, historic buildings, sport, leisure and residential.
We are seeking a professional to join our growing sustainability team. The successful candidate will have previous experience of providing built-environment related consultancy and environmental assessments, and will possess an understanding of the environmental policy and legislative landscape and future trajectory.
The role will involve:
- Carrying out and leading environmental assessments
- Coordinating sustainability and environmental statements to support design teams in the Planning process
- Assisting the team or leading on producing and delivering bespoke sustainability frameworks and strategies
- Knowledge sharing and upskilling of the wider BDP team
The successful consultant will also have the opportunity to be involved in, or lead on, the following workstreams:
- Net zero carbon strategies and assessments (both operational and embodied)
- Material lifecycle assessments (embodied carbon assessments)
- Circularity assessments
- Environmental and wellbeing consultancy and assessments such as BREEAM, LEED, Ska and the WELL Building Standard
- Post occupancy evaluations
- Environmental management systems
The successful candidate will join a team of specialist consultants working across all areas of the built environment. They will have experience of the planning, design, and construction industries (and associated processes) and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, resulting in the ability to articulate complex ideas and concepts effectively to clients with interdisciplinary teams. They will be able to demonstrate an ability to multi-task and have exemplary organisational skills.
Their expertise should be borne from an enthusiasm for environmental sustainability, through the practical implementation of strategies that support environmental, social and economic sustainability at local, national and global levels. They will truly enjoy their work, maintaining a keen interest in the fast-paced agenda, and will be driven to develop the role and make a positive contribution to projects by advocating change.
Qualifications and previous experience:
- A formal qualification in a sustainability/environmental management/built environment subject
- Previous relevant experience working in the field of sustainability
- Experience of BREEAM and the successful delivery of BREEAM assessments
- Working knowledge of environmental and sustainability legislation and its applicability to UK development.
- The drive to explore new or emerging themes and dissemination as appropriate
- Confidence in preparing and delivering presentations to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Exemplary written and spoken English, with experience of technical report writing
- Experience of delivering LEED, Ska or WELL Building Standard assessments
- Experience of using materials life cycle tools and software such as OneClick LCA
- A background in energy or building physics
- NABERS accreditation
- Experience of carrying out circularity assessments and consultancy
Our studios are vibrant. We offer thought leadership and inspirational solutions, and we use our engineering ideas to shape design rather than simply implement solutions. We aspire to deliver projects with maximum value for our clients and minimum impact on the planet.
BDP offers a great opportunity for your personal development with exposure to the full range of our skills and expertise, as well as an attractive remuneration package that includes a competitive salary, profit share, flexible pension allowance, private medical insurance, contribution towards professional subscriptions, a stimulating working environment and excellent prospects for career advancement.
To apply for this role please click on the ‘Apply’ button below, you will then need to complete the online application form, please ensure that you attach a copy of your CV, salary expectations, notice period and a cover letter (< 400 words) which outlines your experience in fulfilling the above job description.
BDP is actively fostering an inclusive organisation where people can be themselves and everyone has a sense of belonging. We want our teams to be diverse at every level, reflecting the communities we design for. As designers, we will create spaces for all that promote equity, wellbeing and participation within the built environment. We actively encourage people from a variety of backgrounds with different skills, professional and life experiences, to join us and help us to achieve our aspirations. We also welcome applications from candidates who wish to work flexibly.