We are seeking a professional to join BDP’s growing sustainability profession. The successful candidate will have a 3-5 years’ experience of providing built-environment related consultancy and will possess a comprehensive understanding of the environmental policy and legislative landscape and future trajectory.
The successful candidate will join a team of specialist consultants working across all areas of the built environment. They will take responsibility for providing sustainability related consultancy across the project life cycle, including technical analysis to support circular economy and net zero carbon strategies, across a range of sectors. They will have experience of the planning, design, and construction industries (and associated processes) and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, resulting in the ability to articulate complex ideas and concepts effectively with interdisciplinary teams. They will be able to demonstrate an ability to multi-task and have exemplary organisational skills.
Their expertise should be borne from an enthusiasm for environmental sustainability, through the practical implementation of strategies that support environmental, social and economic sustainability at local, national and global levels. They will truly enjoy their work, maintaining a keen interest in the fast-paced agenda, and will be driven to develop the role and make a positive contribution to projects by advocating change.
Qualifications and previous experience:
- A formal qualification in a sustainability/environmental management/built environment subject
- 3+ years of relevant experience working in the field of sustainability, with specific experience of sustainability design consultancy
- Experience of project delivery
- Demonstrable evidence of developing sustainable design strategies in a built environment context
- The drive to explore new or emerging themes and dissemination as appropriate
- Confidence in preparing and delivering presentations to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Working towards or possessing Chartership with a relevant industry body
- Exemplary written and spoken English, with experience of technical report writing
- To evolve and expand the knowledge of the organisation, raising the company’s profile for delivering consistently environmentally conscious places and buildings
- To ensure that the company develops and expands its environmental and sustainability services internally and externally, working to influence design proposals and lift design quality
- To become accepted as a resource for sustainable design advocacy and creativity, working closely with different teams to provide low impact, healthy and value added design solutions
- To work with the studios, profession heads and board of directors to ensure the sustainability agenda is communicated effectively throughout the practice
- To work to reduce the environmental impact of our day-to-day operations in line with our ISO 14001 and 50001 certification.
- To be regarded as a thought leader for aspects of the sustainability agenda
In return, BDP offers an excellent opportunity for your personal development as well as an attractive remuneration package that includes a competitive salary, flexible pension allowance, private medical insurance, profit shares, contribution towards professional subscriptions and a great working environment.
As a major international interdisciplinary practice of architects, designers, engineers and urbanists, BDP offers a unique opportunity to work on large, high profile projects within interdisciplinary design teams. You will take a leading role on our diverse project portfolio, both now and in the future.
As part of the larger organisation, the Sustainability Group provides a wide range of services across building design to both the internal and external client. Our current suite of services include:
- Thought leadership
- Sustainability strategy
- Environmental assessments, including BREEAM, LEED and WELL
- Ecological assessment and consultancy
- Post-occupancy evaluation and building optimisation
- Knowledge sharing and training
- Environmental management systems