To be the dedicated Sustainability Advisor for a number of Science and Health construction projects targeting a range of sustainability deliverables, such as Net Zero, Social Value, Circular Economy and Environmental Assessments (BREEAM, LEED, Ska etc) . The role will be based between site and the ISG head office. The position is full time and the successful candidate will also be required to assist the with the implementation of Group and Business Unit sustainability strategies and winning future projects.
The role involves working closely with project teams and the supply chain on site to:
- Meet legislative, ISG, stakeholder, client and any other third-party requirements
- Achieve LEED, BREEAM and Ska Rating assessments
- Meet all other project related sustainability targets
- Support the use of a local supply chain, labour and materials
- Engage and support local communities regarding apprentices, work experience placements, educational visits etc.
- Liaise with the project site teams and supply chain on site and ensure that ISG, Client and Stakeholder sustainability objectives are met within required timeframes.
- Help to develop, cultivate and maintain a culture whereby project teams self-deliver sustainability requirements with strategic support from the sustainability team.
- Support project teams with LEED, BREEAM, and Ska Rating requirements and assist with compliance.
- Ensure that projects are legally compliant with regard to for example waste management, hazardous waste, runoff disposal, pollution control and any local authority requirements / restrictions particularly pertaining to noise and dust.
- Calculate targets for waste recycling, CO2 & water usage, and assist the site team in taking action to ensure these are met, including monitoring and reporting requirements.
- Carry out regular environmental inspections on site, ensuring these are communicated to the project teams/trade contractors for their information and action, and follow up any non-conformances.
- Deliver internal training to project teams and trade contractors where appropriate – including how to recognise environmental aspects and impacts within their site inspections, complete environmental paperwork and update environmental records to be reported to the Sustainability Team.
- Assist project teams in implementing the Considerate Constructors Scheme on site.
- Develop communication tools, (e.g. project specific website, newsletters, surveys etc.) which can be used to inform ISG and the public about the project.
- Liaise with clients and professional teams via meetings and producing project sustainability reports.
- Assist with community engagement programmes.
- Communicate sustainability issues and performance to site teams (via team meetings, project reports and sustainability information posters on site).
- Report centrally, monthly on project environmental/sustainability performance and compliance.
- Contribute to winning work winning e.g. PQQs and tenders.
- Facilitate internal/external environmental audits (e.g. ISO 14001).
- Support the Sustainability Team with efficiency drives and implementation of innovative ideas.
- Contribute to the development of ISG management systems to include best practice and innovation.
- Capture ISG best practice and produce case studies to share information and improve performance.
Skills & Experience
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Health & Safety awareness
- Knowledge of sustainable sourcing procedures (FSC timber chain of custody)
- Strong communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to deal confidently with colleagues, subcontractors and external consultants
- Ability to work independently and use initiative
- Ability to work as part of a team
- A commitment to identify, develop, direct and implement key objectives
- Organisation skills and workload prioritising
- Experience and understanding of sustainability issues in construction
- Desirable to have either qualifications in, or knowledge of environmental assessment models (BREEAM, LEED, Ska, etc).
- Preferably have Environmental / Sustainability qualifications (IEMA, CIRIA, etc)