The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a net-zero society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 1000 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible net-zero transition.
The ECF is brings together diverse perspectives and backgrounds to find the best innovative solutions to tackle climate change. We are focusing on engaging and hiring great people from a wide diversity of backgrounds to strengthen the cause.
As towns, cities and countries around the world declare climate emergencies, seas rise, forests burn, glaciers melt, increasing numbers of people take to the streets demanding urgent action and our societies begin to wake up to what the science has been saying for many years, there has never been a more important time to be working on climate change. If you share our values of respect, innovation, and collaboration, join us!
ECF is currently accepting applications for an experienced communications specialist to perform the role of Strategic Communications Manager in France. This position is part of the ECF’s Strategic Communications team, which is the outreach unit of the foundation. Its role is to act as a center of expertise for communication on climate change and to play an active role in helping create more political, media and public endorsement for action on climate change.
Working closely with the ECF programmes and grantee organisations operating in France, the Strategic Communications Manager will manage a small team to deliver strategic advice, communications interventions and outreach support to the ECF colleagues and partners. This position is part and work as part of an international network of communications experts to enhance the public debate on climate change and its solutions. The work will involve maintaining trusted relationships with key journalists and stakeholders in France.
The role offers a unique opportunity for a highly driven individual with a sincere interest in French politics and climate issues to work with talented teams and play an active role in delivering the transition to net zero in France and at the European level.
This role would suit someone with a background in communications, campaigning, journalism or public affairs.
The Strategic Communications Manager, France, will be responsible for:
- Developing a climate communications strategy for France to shape the public debate and influence the policy agenda on climate related issues, with a particular focus on key political developments and societal challenges;
- Collaborating with the ECF programmes staff to support ECF’s strategic goals in France and ensure strategic communications is integrated into ECF’s grant-making work;
- Identifying and planning communications campaigns and activities to build narratives that promote climate action, targeting key audiences and leveraging influential actors and constituencies;
- Collaborating with the ECF’s portfolio of grantees and strategic partners to deliver the materials, stories, voices and messaging to support this strategy, and coordinating initiatives across partner organisations;
- Developing strategic communications initiatives through partnerships and grant-making, from time-bound projects to long-term infrastructure building;
- Acting as a source of expertise on political communications to the French climate community and helping build climate communications capacity amongst partner organisations;
- Developing trusted relationships with key media, experts or influencers with a view to proactively engage them in the climate debate;
- Developing audience knowledge and monitoring public opinion across key segments of the population, with a view to identify and best address priority target groups;
- Making full use of new and innovative methods of digital communications to help disseminate messages with a clear audience-targeted approach;
- Working hand-in hand with an international network of communications experts who seek to advance the momentum of the net-zero emission transition;
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting on strategic communications work.
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation;
- 8+ years of professional strategic communications experience, including some experience in campaigning or public affairs;
- A brilliant strategist with strong understanding of the processes and dynamics of French and European policymaking;
- Strong leadership skills with a proven ability to work independently while coordinating with multiple stakeholders;
- Successful team management experience;
- Effective project management skills, and extensive experience of developing ambitious communications initiatives tailored for specific audiences and channels;
- Strong diplomatic and networking skills that enable effective collaboration with a diverse group of partners;
- Strong vision, confidence and a proven ability to bring others along on collective strategies;
- Gravitas sufficient to work directly with high profile individuals and partners from diverse backgrounds at all levels;
- Proven skills to produce engaging and impactful communications materials for the French media and social media market;
- Existing relationships with French media and opinion leaders, or demonstrated ability to build these swiftly;
- Excellent command of the French language (both spoken and written), as well as fluency in English;
- A team player and a natural collaborator with high levels of self-motivation, strong time and priority management and a passion for excellence, used to working in remote, international settings;
- The disposition to work with colleagues in a high-trust community of peers, and a commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach and a spirit of generosity and mutual support.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with ambition and a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time, permanent employment contract.
France – remote work is allowed with a regular presence in the Paris office.
As soon as possible.