South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
The Senior Manager – Global Partnerships is responsible for overseeing the commercial origination and acquisition activities for complex and global project development partnerships for carbon asset development as well for other tradable certificates business/climate project units. This includes generating, structuring and closing new partnerships with large Project Partners and organizations which have a global portfolio of project activities ready to be transformed into eligible carbon projects. The Senior Manager will also be involved in shaping and executing South Pole’s M&A strategy for Climate Project Partners and identifying and reviewing acquisition targets. The Senior Manager will in addition support the regional project acquisition teams in achieving their KPIs by commercially advising on more complex sourcing deals.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Generate new global partnerships for joint climate project development opportunities in coordinating with Sourcing Practice leads and Regional sourcing team members
- In coordination with the Sourcing and Investment team support the Climate Project Unit’s M&A team, including definition of the M&A strategy and overseeing review of leads, with a goal to proactively identify acquisition targets to grow our projects base
- Work closely with our Agriculture Value Chain team project lead generation and the Agriculture Sourcing Practice from supply chain clients interested in building a new carbon based value chain interventions product including establishing tradable certificates
- Serve as a liaison point between the innovation team and sourcing team where required with the goal to accede to additional emission reduction projects from new areas
- Help other sourcing team members on demand to structure long term, potentially complex and strategic partnerships and deals with governments, investors, large project owners, NGOs and other stakeholders
- Take part in cross-business line working groups for potential new products (with Climate Investment team for instance) ahead of a practice creation in the Sourcing team.
- University degree in Environmental Sciences, Business, Engineering, Law or other relevant discipline
- Extensive relevant work experience, including several years of experience in business development roles within the sustainability sector, specifically in the topics of voluntary or compliance carbon markets
- Experience in establishing clear performance targets and metrics, with proven track record of meeting or exceeding challenging targets
- Strategic mindset
- Strong business acumen, with the ability to structure and negotiate deals that are commercially sound and profitable for South Pole
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to partner effectively with key internal and external stakeholders
- Experience working closely cross-functional, high-performing, in diverse, remote and global teams
- Professional proficiency in English language skills, both oral and written.
- Ideally a Masters degree
- Experience in scaling up a fast-growing organization in the context of a highly competitive market environment
- Experience in structuring highly complex carbon deals
- Sound technical carbon knowledge
- Professional competence in additional languages
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.