Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it’s employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
We are looking for a senior carbon management consultant to join our growing virtual Carbon team, based in our Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham or London offices.
Your duties and accountabilities will typically include:
- Leading the delivery of carbon / climate change assessments for a wide range of infrastructure projects;
- Carbon / climate change expert feeding into environmental impact assessments (EIAs) and planning applications;
- Leading carbon foot printing and carbon management projects;
- Assessing the performance of projects against national and international standards and to inform the development of project design;
- Leading on carbon/climate change due diligence work;
- Working collaboratively with Account Leads and contributing to winning new work;
- Presenting to clients; and,
- Mentoring of junior staff.
The role is likely to involve other carbon reduction and sustainability related work, including compliance issues and advisory services, as well as involvement in wider environment-related projects.
Essential academic, professional qualification, experience, competencies and skills:
The successful candidate will be proactive, enthusiastic and eager to play a part in a growing team. It is important that you can work autonomously, developing your own network and have good stakeholder management skills. You will possess / be:
- Experience in leading the delivery of carbon footprinting / carbon management projects across a range of project types (delivery against scope, quality and budget) especially in the infrastructure sector;
- Sound knowledge of legislation and policy influencing carbon and climate change, of key methodologies and data sources associated with carbon footprinting and carbon management, including ISO14064, PAS2060, PAS2080;
- Knowledge of efforts (initiatives/project/commitments) in the industry to reduce the carbon impact of transportation, construction and the built environment (and ideally participation in such endeavours);
- Experience of environmental impact assessment, and working within EIA teams, coupled with well-rounded knowledge on wider sustainability and climate change issues;
- A degree / post-graduate qualification(s) in a relevant discipline;
- Membership of a relevant institute, preferably at a chartered or equivalent level;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and collaborate at all levels;
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills;
- Good numerical analytical skills, including the use of Excel and other tools;
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise workload effectively; and,
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic with the ability to work as part of team and independently as required.
Desirable academic, professional qualification, experience, competencies and skills:
- Transportation sector experience;
- Understanding of related environmental topics such as air quality and climate change adaptation and resilience;
- Knowledge of low-carbon materials/processes/innovations in construction and the built environment;
- Knowledge of the circular economy and experience of implementing CE interventions;
- Experience in renewable energy or financial aspects of carbon management;
- Experience of offsets and carbon sequestration;
- Experience in client engagement and delivering an appropriate message to the intended audience;
- Experience of mentoring junior staff; and,
- Capacity for flexible delivery – ability to think strategically “big picture” as well as deliver shorter term detail.
If you meet 80% or more of what we’re looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn’t know we need.
Mott MacDonald is a leading multi-disciplinary consultancy providing sustainability and carbon advice on major infrastructure projects across the world, working collaboratively with our client base to help them to reduce their impact upon the environment and to deliver better social outcomes.
Mott MacDonald Group became Carbon Neutral in 2020 and committed to being Net Zero by 2040.
We are working closely with Infrastructure Leaders to achieve the UK Government’s ambition to become Net Zero by 2050.
We have a vacancy for a senior carbon management consultant to join our Advisory Team in the UK.
The role will involve supporting Mott MacDonald Group activities to advance our Net Zero commitments as well as providing technical input into a wide variety of infrastructure projects.
You will be based in any of our main UK offices. We encourage you to become part of our vibrant and dynamic workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited – which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities – because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working – because life isn’t 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies – for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes