A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment. We believe that flexible arrangements, such as hybrid working, create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people.
Dedicated to sustainable development, Arup is a collective of designers, consultants and experts working globally. Founded to be humane and excellent, we collaborate with our clients and partners using imagination, technology, and rigour to shape a better world.
Senior Buildings Sustainability Consultant
Sustainability is a key strategic aim of Arup. At the heart of all our work is our purpose to create a more sustainable future for the world. We are seeking a buildings sustainability consultant with experience in building performance analytics such as energy analysis, daylighting analysis and carbon calculations.
- Represent Arup with client facing advice on sustainability, providing building performance, master planning and advisory services.
- Lead sustainability and building physics projects through the full project life cycle including analysis to support
- NZEB, Low/Net Zero Carbon/Energy Building design strategies
- Regulatory compliance checks & input to planning process
- Thermal modelling, natural ventilation, (ideally also daylight, glare, comfort, wind analysis, etc)
- Green building certifications (LEED, BREEAM & ILFI)
- Climate risk assessments
- Building life-cycle assessments (particularly operational carbon aspects)
- Predictive energy assessments
- Support Arup design teams pursuing relevant green building certifications
- Support development of capabilities in building physics and performance analytics within Arup
- Bring experience and knowledge to key building sectors such as Property, Healthcare, Education and SI&T.
- Mentor junior team members to help develop technical and soft skills within the team
- Collaborate with architects & engineers within Arup to support design teams as required
- Collaborate with Arup colleagues within the European Region and across the globe to develop capabilities and support international projects & clients
- Support research internal and external research & development initiatives
- Degree in Architecture, Building Services Engineering or Mechanical Engineering,
- Minimum 5 years full-time experience
- Experience managing multidisciplinary projects in a client facing role
- Experience with IES and/or other energy modelling software required
- Experience with Python scripting and/or Grasshopper for Rhino required
- Professional certification in a green buildings rating system a plus (LEED AP, etc.)
- Technically excellent with in-depth knowledge of relevant standards and regulations
- Experience with Part L, LEED and/or BREEAM building performance modelling requirements
- Experience in a wide range of project types (i.e. commercial office, healthcare, education, etc.)
- Organised and adaptable with a flexible approach to work
- Ability to deliver projects on time and within budget
- Ability to provide clear, technically sound reports and verbal communications
- Currently hold or are working towards achieving Chartership with an appropriate professional body
- Able to work autonomously, stay focused and with attention to detail
- Highly motivated, proactive, and willing to take on new challenges
- Proven team player
- Willingness to travel
What to expect at Arup:
- A multicultural and informal working environment where you can develop professionally by being part of a team who enjoy what they do.
- We believe that flexible arrangements, such as hybrid working, create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people.
- Opportunities for short or long assignments at Arup’s offices and projects anywhere in the world.
- Employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme, which is dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
- Competitive performance-based salary growth.
- A strong corporate culture committed to its values: quality of work, holistic approach, humane organization, straight and honourable dealings, social usefulness and reasonable prosperity.
- Continuous training and professional development that will allow you to adapt to the growing needs of our clients as we embrace digital transformation.
Join us in shaping a better world.
Our goal is to shape a better world, finding solutions for some of the world’s most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the most expansive impacts of our work. Our drive to build a more sustainable, resilient and equitable future shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. The successful candidate will join our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet.
‘A better way’- Sustainability and Social Equity
At Arup, we strive to bring environmental sustainability and social equity together. We put sustainability at the heart of our projects and invest in research and development that helps tackle issues such as climate change and poverty. We have made a commitment to reach net zero by 2030 and to contribute meaningfully to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, creating shared value for our clients and our communities while safeguarding our planet. Read our net zero carbon plan here. Read our net zero carbon plan here.
A career at Arup gives you the chance to have a positive impact on the world. For us, corporate responsibility is not just a policy; it’s a way of working.
Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion is at the heart of what we do
We are committed to creating an inclusive working environment for talented people of any background based on merit, fairness and respect. At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in social, cultural and educational events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or with your colleagues by joining staff networks such as those for women, culture or the LGBTQ+ community.