Are you interested in nuclear waste management and looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Do you want to build a science career and work in a versatile role at the interface of academy and industry? VTT might be just the place for you.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Get to know us further by exploring VTT’s research infra at VTT World.
We are now looking for a Research or Senior Scientist to join our Nuclear waste management team.
In this position, you will have an essential role in contributing to nuclear waste management research and developing new approaches to emerging future nuclear waste management needs. You will be working on privately and publicly funded projects with an individual focus area but within a larger community of experts in various fields.
Our team works on various nuclear waste management topics and on nuclear energy related experimental research to support the safe and sustainable use of nuclear energy, which is widely seen as a feasible means for stable, low emission energy generation at a large.
Your responsibilities as Research / Senior Scientist:
- Contributing to nuclear waste management research in topics that will be specified based on your competences (for example, one of the disposal barriers, radionuclide transport modelling, safety assessment or waste management concept development)
- Developing new approaches and solutions for emerging future nuclear waste management needs
- Collaborating with your colleagues from various scientific and technical backgrounds to ensure successful project deliveries
- Working on privately and publicly funded projects including communication and collaboration with the funders and project partners
- As a Senior Scientist you will have project management responsibilities and you will be expected to actively participate in project preparations and sales activities.
Who we are looking for:
- You have a Master’s or doctoral degree in a suitable field of science or technology (for example, physics, applied mathematics or geosciences).
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience in nuclear waste management or in a closely related field.
- You have an excellent understanding of one or more specific topics related to the management of nuclear waste streams (for example, one of the disposal barriers, radionuclide transport modelling, safety assessment or waste management concept development). In addition, we value interest and ability to broaden your expertise to become a leading expert in nuclear waste management in general.
- You have excellent spoken and written English skills.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- A fast learner with an intrinsic need to continuously find out more
- Capable of working in an independent and flexible manner
- Interested to collaborate with experts and partners across different fields of science and technology.
- Willing and able to work in an international environment.
If you are an international talent looking for a new opportunity, please read more about benefits of living and working in Finland as well as VTT’s support for relocation of the new employees! Please note that VTT will cover the cost of temporary accommodation of two weeks in Finland, travel and removals for permanent employees.
What we offer you:
- Natural sciences with an impact. VTT works on cutting-edge of natural sciences, and we’ve invested in building state-of-the-art research facilities at your disposal in the new Centre for Nuclear Safety laboratory. Our research agenda is dedicated to solving systemic and technological challenges, such as reaching carbon neutrality and unleashing the power of synthetic biology. That means that at VTT, your expertise in natural sciences will go towards creating a real impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Superb colleagues and community. With VTT, you’ll join a community of over 2000 multidisciplinary experts who foster a culture of trust, openness and sharing knowledge. We work truly across disciplines, and house all the cutting-edge sciences from quantum computing to synthetic biology under one roof. Collaborating with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun. Read more about our organisational culture as the builder of the world’s most meaningful place to work.
- Excellent career in research. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us over 10 years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. A combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects keeps your career path interesting.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture great team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work–life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation programmes and trainings on cognitive ergonomics.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 28 November 2022. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Veli-Matti Pulkkanen, [email protected], +358 40 833 6452 on Tuesday 15 November at 2 pm to 3 pm, Friday 18 November at 1 pm to 2 pm or Tuesday 22 November at 2 pm to 3 pm.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply between 11 November 2022 and 30 November 2022 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Full-time, Permanent
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have over 75 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.