GCA is an international organization, which acts as a solutions broker to accelerate action and support for adaptation, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector. Founded in 2018, GCA is hosted in Rotterdam by the Netherlands, with regional offices in Abidjan, Dhaka and Beijing and a research hub based in Groningen. GCA engages in innovative solutions to drive adaptation at scale, high-level policy development, new research contributions, advocacy, communications, and work with partners to deliver action on the ground. GCA’s work focuses on those who are the most vulnerable to the effects of climate change including the poorest communities and countries, to help them withstand health, social and economic impacts of a climate emergency. The Africa Adaptation Acceleration Program is GCA’s flagship program and aims to mobilize $25 billion to scale up and accelerate climate change adaptation actions across Africa. Through its four pillars – Climate Smart Digital Technologies for Agriculture and Food Security, the African Infrastructure Resilience Accelerator, Empowering Youth for Entrepreneurship and Job Creation in Climate Adaptation and Resilience and Innovative Financial Initiatives for Africa – the AAAP is slated to contribute to closing Africa’s adaptation gap, support countries to make a transformational shift in their development pathways by putting climate adaptation and resilience at the centre of their critical growth oriented and inclusive policies, programs, and institutions. In the context of the AAAP, the Team engages in research activities that can support program and project design and implementation in three areas: efficiency of adaptation-related interventions; conditions for their sustained uptake and support for scaling.
About the assignment
The Research Intern AAAP (hereinafter the “Research Intern”) will report to the Director of Research while working closely with others in the Research for Impact team as well as Program Leads. The intern will play a crucial role in data collection and analysis and contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of projects and program under the AAAP, which include but are not limited to AfDB’s Feed Africa portfolio.
- Assist in the analysis of existing databases (e.g. LSMS and DHS) that can contribute to the design, implementation or evaluation of a selected AAAP project or program.
- Assist in the outreach and engagement with partners in climate risk and adaptation research networks (including the CGIAR).
- Data collection through desktop research of project documentation for SDG-13 linkages in these projects and programs
- Contribute to and assist in any task that may arise concerning support to the AAAP pillars
Learning Elements offered by the GCA:
- Technical understanding of climate change adaptation through workshops, presentations, and content meetings.
- Methodological skills through developing and conducting research tasks.
- Interpersonal skills through working in a challenging international context and contact with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and geographies.
- Leadership skills through trainings, giving presentations, organizing events and oral presentations.
Essential skills and experience
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in economics, geography or closely related discipline;
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver to deadlines;
- Strong organizational skills that reflects ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly in a dynamic environment with shifting priorities;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Interest and experience in climate change adaptation and sustainable development