ERM is seeking a motivated and dynamic Principal Consultant in Sustainability Strategy & Disclosure to join our growing Corporate Sustainability and Climate Change team. This position will be based in our Toronto or Ottawa office.
As our ideal candidate, you will have broad experience and subject matter expertise in corporate sustainability, strategy, reporting and disclosure, and ESG; with a proven track record of helping companies design sustainability/ESG strategies, deliver sustainability/ESG reporting, and realize benefits through program implementation. You will have the opportunity to work with and support a first class delivery team, with exposure to a client base that spans North America.
“The business of sustainability” reflects what we do to support our clients as they strive to attain their business goals. Sustainability and business are now inextricably linked and as an expert in sustainability, we play a role in helping companies achieve their objectives with an understanding of how this affects wider society and the environment. We intend to contribute even more to the global dialogue on sustainability and expect our work on sustainability challenges and opportunities to deliver growth in our business. Sustainability is our business.
Managing Clients and Projects
- Builds strong and trusted relationships with clients and/or business partners
- Demonstrates expertise relating to our core service areas of sustainability strategy and disclosure
- Thinks strategically in order to influence decision-makers and outcomes
- Distills complexity from detail to effectively coach colleagues to deliver high-quality outputs
- Demonstrates strong project management skills and oversight through the project lifecycle, including scoping, budget and delivery
- Demonstrates strong analytical skills, excellent writing and presentation skills, and a mastery of PowerPoint communication
Teamwork and Organization
- Effectively collaborates internally to bring our services to existing clients
- Enhances ERM’s capability to sell and deliver Corporate Sustainability services
- Identifies, evaluates, cultivates and manages partnerships and relationships with senior clients, external stakeholders and key opinion leaders
- Manages a team of up to three junior consultants
- Demonstrates strong people management skills; particularly the ability to support, coach and celebrate others in order to advance employee engagement and achieve results
- Acts as advisor and supports projects in North America and beyond as needed
Business Development Activities
- Plays a primary role in new business development and achieving sales objectives through client engagement, campaigns, proposals and pitches
- Supports Account Management teams in meeting sales goals
- Bachelor or Master degree in relevant field required, with Master’s degree a plus
- Enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility, and a desire to work in a growing team
- 6+ years of relevant ESG work experience in international consultancy or private sector
- A thorough understanding of ESG standards and guidelines such as SASB, GRI, TCFD, <IR>, SBTi
- Experience in ESG strategy, ratings/ranking methodologies, and data management approaches for ESG metrics
- Attention to detail and commitment to deliver high-quality work products.
- Demonstrated project leadership skills
- Experience of line management and/or contributing to the professional development of other teammates is a plus
- Structured and effective communicator that can shape and deliver messages to executive level and facilitate effective client engagements
- Experience in the mining, manufacturing, and/or oil and gas sector is considered an asset
- Bilingual English – French/Spanish is a plus