Do you want to contribute to making our cities better places to live?
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network working with more than
2500 local and regional governments committed to sustainable urban development. Active
in 125+ countries, we influence sustainability policy and drive local action for low emission,
nature-based, equitable, resilient and circular development.
ICLEI‘s European Secretariat is based in Freiburg (Germany), with satellite offices in Brussels
and Berlin. ICLEI Europe has more than 120 talented staff from all over Europe and beyond,
covering a broad variety of professional disciplines and expertise.
Working with us, you will have opportunities to:
• Deepen your understanding of how cities design and implement sustainability and climate
neutrality policies, what kind of challenges they face and how best to support them;
• Work with leading urban researchers, politicians and practitioners on European
innovation projects, to provide solutions for today’s urban challenges;
• Contribute to European and international processes that influence urban policies, such
as the EU Green Deal, the EU Missions, the New European Bauhaus, the UN SDGs,
• Be part of an internationally-recognised organisation that inspires, supports and critically
evaluates new trends in (co-)creating sustainable and climate neutral cities;
• Grow professionally in a flexible, family-friendly work environment with opportunities for
personal development, European travel, and professional cultural exchange.
We are looking for a new colleague to join our Sustainable Mobility team with the following
experience, skills and character:
• Solid understanding of integrated sustainable urban development principles and
processes, with a focus on innovative, sustainable mobility solutions and integrated
transport and mobility plans and systems;
• At least 3 years of professional experience, working in a project-based environment,
ideally for and with local governments or other urban actors;
• Very good and clear oral and written communication;
• Confident interacting and collaborating with a wide range of partners, from grassroots
organisations to ministries;
• Proficient in English and at least one other European language, spoken and written;
more languages are an asset;
• Curious, creative, collaborative, while able to work independently and stay grounded in a
dynamic, sometimes fast-paced, international environment.
ICLEI European Secretariat
Your position will include the following main tasks:
• Collaborative implementation of projects on integrated approaches and innovative
governance models for cities as part of the EU CIVITAS Initiative on sustainable and
smart urban mobility and other EU programmes;
• Task coordination between partners and colleagues, time and capacity monitoring,
communication with partners, reporting, etc.
• Regular communication with relevant organisations and institutions;
• Organisation and facilitation of, and contribution to virtual, hybrid and in-person
meetings, including trainings, interactive workshops, international project meetings,
• Researching and writing publications targeted to urban practitioners, including reports,
briefs, case studies and news articles;
• Contributing to project acquisition efforts, including concept development and project
design, writing, and budgeting.
We offer you the following conditions:
• Initial 24 months contract with high potential for extension;
• Gross salary according to the Officer position in ICLEI’s salary grid
(indicative: EUR 48.000 – 51.600 per annum);
• Place of work: Freiburg/Germany;
• 40h working week with flexible working time and the possibility to work up to 50% remote;
• 6 weeks of paid leave per annum;
• Working language is English;
• Occasional travel within Europe is foreseen.
Please note that applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or a valid
EU residence permit and a valid German work permit. Applications not meeting these
conditions can unfortunately not be considered.
Deadline for application: 20 January 2023
Please apply in writing, including a CV and letter of motivation to:
Please note that we review applications continuously upon receipt and early submissions
are encouraged. For more information about ICLEI visit: www.iclei-europe.org
ICLEI Europe’s Equal Opportunity and Employment Policy
ICLEI Europe’s hiring policy is geared to ensure that the organisation hires employees
without regard to their race, colour, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, marital
status, socio-economic background or sexual orientation. ICLEI’s policy is that applicants
for employment and career progression are considered solely based on their qualifications