ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network working with more than
2500 local and regional governments committed to sustainable urban development. Active
in 125+ countries, we influence sustainability policy and drive local action for low emission,
nature-based, equitable, resilient and circular development.
ICLEI‘s European Secretariat is based in Freiburg (Germany), with satellite offices in Brussels
and Berlin. ICLEI Europe has more than 100 talented staff from all over Europe and beyond,
covering a broad variety of professional disciplines and expertise.
Working with us, you will have opportunities to:
• Deepen your understanding of how cities design and implement sustainability policies,
what kind of challenges they face and how best to support them;
• Work with leading urban researchers, politicians and practitioners on European research
and innovation projects, to provide solutions for today’s urban challenges;
• Contribute to European and international processes that influence urban policies, such
as the EU Green Deal, the New European Bauhaus, the UN SDGs, and others;
• Be part of an internationally-recognised organisation that inspires, supports and critically
evaluates new trends in sustainable urban development;
• Grow professionally in a flexible, family-friendly work environment with opportunities for
personal development, European travel, and professional cultural exchange.
We are looking for a new colleague to join the Governance and Social Innovation team with
the following experience, skills and character:
• Solid understanding of integrated sustainable urban development principles and
processes, with a focus on innovative, sustainable mobility solutions and integrated
transport and mobility plans and systems;
• At least 2 years of professional experience working in a project-based environment, ideally
for and with local governments or other urban actors;
• Good oral and written communication;
• Confident interacting and collaborating with a wide range of partners, from grassroots
organisations to ministries;
• Proficient in English and at least one other European language, spoken and written; more
languages are an asset;
• Curious, creative, collaborative, while able to work independently and stay grounded in a
dynamic, sometimes fast-paced, international environment.
ICLEI European Secretariat
Your position will include the following main tasks:
• Designing, implementing, and assessing integrated approaches and innovative
governance models for cities related to sustainable mobility;
• Event organisation and facilitation (virtual, hybrid and in-person), including trainings,
interactive workshops, international project meetings, and conferences;
• Researching and drafting publications targeted to urban practitioners, including reports,
briefs, case studies and news articles;
• Basic project management, including communication with project partners and funders,
reporting and general administrative tasks;
• Contributing to project acquisition efforts, including concept development and project
design, writing, and budgeting.
We offer an initial limited contract (12 months, parental leave cover) with a potential for
extension, a gross salary according to the Officer position in ICLEI’s salary grid (indicative:
EUR 40.800 – 45.600 per annum), 40h working week with flexible hours and the option of
some remote work, 6 weeks paid leave per annum. Working language is English, place of
work is Freiburg (Germany), and occasional travel within Europe is foreseen.
Please note that applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or a valid
EU residence permit and a valid German work permit. Applications not meeting these
conditions can unfortunately not be considered.
Deadline for application: 30 September 2022