Who we need
Our Founder & CEO, Ryan Zizzo, is leading and scaling up our initiatives and engagements
with companies seeking our unique expertise in climate-smart design and development. Our
focus areas include building and infrastructure embodied carbon life cycle assessment,
operational carbon management, green building consulting, net-zero and climate resilience
strategies, and building certifications – including LEED, Zero Carbon Building Standard, Fitwel,
Toronto Green Standard, BOMA Best, Vancouver Zoning Bylaw. We need an experienced and
talented Net Zero Carbon and Healthy Buildings Analyst with the passion and expertise to
skillfully support our projects in these and other emerging areas.
Who you are
You are a self-starter, team-player, and doer who is talented at communication and technical
analysis. You have 2-5 years of experience working on green building projects and are
comfortable proactively moving projects from idea to completion. You are passionate about
working on new and emerging topics, asking questions, and want to work on unique and
impactful projects at a company helping the built environment become climate-smart.
You are an emerging professional who can lead and inspire with consistent rigour in producing
quality work products and analyses, foster internal collaboration and mentorship, and embrace
accountability. You thrive in an ultra-fast-paced environment and have a deep desire to radically
own your impact and embrace the freedom of managing your own time. We are open to remote
working arrangements, with Toronto being the preferred location of this role due to our high
level of clients based there.
What’s in it for you
A chance to support, educate, identify, inspire, strategize, and equip.
You will support the Mantle Developments team and work on projects such as:
● Consulting with real estate developers that are pioneering development efforts to
minimize whole-life cycle carbon and work towards net zero emissions developments
● Managing climate and green building rating systems, certifications, and mandatory
compliance documentation, including LEED, Zero Carbon Building Standard, Fitwel,
Envision, BOMA Best, Toronto Green Standard, and other similar programs
● Working with portfolio and company-level sustainability and climate-related frameworks
and disclosure programs, including SASB, GRESB, GRI, CDP, PCAF, GHG Protocol
and other similar programs
● Providing support functions, including report and proposal drafting, strategy
development, energy modelling, operational carbon calculations, research, and training
How you will make a difference:
● Research and planning. You will support technical and policy analysis, strategy
development, and implementation.
● Data & information analysis. You will support and develop compliance documentation
for green building certification; enhanced climate-related disclosure projects, including
LEED, Fitwel, and GRESB; and carbon assessment projects.
● Perform accurate and concise research, analysis, and technical calculations to make
recommendations to project teams that facilitate decision-making on sustainable building
● Manage, coordinate, prepare, maintain, and submit LEED, Fitwel, Zero Carbon Building
Standard, Toronto Green Standard, and other certification documentation.
● Efficiently perform material quantity take-offs from design documents using Bluebleam.
● Run whole building LCA models using One Click LCA.
● Minimum 2-5 years of relevant and demonstrated sustainable industry knowledge and
experience in green building certifications with a background in building science,
architecture, engineering, design and construction, operations, or building management.
● Possess LEED AP BD+C accreditation or commitment to achieving it within six months.
● Experience with AutoCAD, Bluebeam, and One Click LCA is an asset.
What you bring to our collaborative team:
● Passion for our purpose. You are deeply committed to creating structures and
infrastructure that are low carbon, climate resilient, and adhere to high standards of
environmental responsibility. You want to empower companies to manage climate risk
and benefit from climate opportunity.
● Education & Experience. You have an impressive track record of academic and
professional achievement, including:
○ A post-secondary degree in engineering or environmental science.
○ Advanced degrees (MASc, MSc, MBA, Ph.D.) and PEng and LEED AP or similar
designations are assets.
○ Experience in engineering and analysis, including consulting with real estate,
government, construction, architecture, and engineering clients.
○ Expertise in green building certifications, energy modelling, energy audits, net
zero mechanical design, and life cycle assessments.
● Technical skills. Your toolkit includes climate analysis, energy modelling, net zero /
high-efficiency mechanical design, life cycle assessment software, MS Office, and web-
based business tools (Slack, Zoom, G-Suite, etc.)
○ Experience with life cycle assessment, including whole building-level or product-
level environmental and cost assessments, is an asset.
○ Experience in performing energy modelling and energy audits, including
ASHRAE Level II audits, is an asset.
○ Experience in project and construction cost estimation and pro forma is an asset.
● Project leadership. You are a strategic thinker with solid project management skills,
business acumen, accountability, and financial proficiency. You have:
○ Influence and the ability to gain trust and inspire and bring teams together to
achieve their goals and objectives effectively
○ Expertise in partnering with internal and external stakeholders to identify
business challenges and opportunities to develop effective strategies to realize
○ Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to make
presentations at the executive or government level, and translate complex
findings into concise yet comprehensive reports, recommendations, and policies
○ The drive to stay up-to-date or ahead of the curve with best practices in climate-
Evolve, improve, and thrive with us.
At Mantle Developments, we understand that the best ideas are created when people with
diverse skills, experiences, and perspectives work together. You will be part of a team that is:
● Mission-driven. We share a commitment to meaningful, purpose-driven work. Most of
us have been involved in climate and environmental action since our youth. We are
genuinely excited to have a chance to influence and empower real-world decision-
makers with tangible solutions and services that guide their response to the climate
● Intelligent, astute, and engaging. We foster a team culture in which we challenge
ourselves and continuously raise awareness of critical climate and social issues. We
have vibrant conversations about what’s happening around the world, from humanitarian
and social justice issues to politics and pop culture. We are striving for a diverse,
educated, and opinionated team.
● Committed to Indigenous reconciliation. We recognize the value Indigenous
communities and their ways of knowing bring to climate action efforts. We are committed
to advancing Indigenous reconciliation across Canada by learning from, supporting, and
partnering with Indigenous-led organizations and communities.
● Uplifting, supportive, and social. We are open-minded and continuously share
information and learn from each other. Despite the long list of designations after our
names, we know how to have fun. From Team Bonding Jeopardy to events with our very
own office DJ!
● Radically responsible. We are a self-managed organization, meaning you will have the
freedom and responsibility to create and evolve aspects of your role.
Our history, your future
We began as part of Manifest Climate (formerly named Mantle314), founded in 2015 to shine a
light on climate-related risk and opportunity in the construction sector and advance strategies to
thrive. As early movers on the need to engage and empower businesses in their climate and
resilience strategies, we work with forward-thinking organizations across various industries,
including construction, finance, government, and real estate. We educate internal teams on
climate developments, equip them with the tools to identify and manage risks and opportunities
and provide leading solutions and strategies to build corporate resilience against climate
Mantle Developments was spun out of Mantle314 in early 2021 to focus specifically on
supporting the built environment to become climate-smart through carbon management and
resilience design and operation. We are recognized leaders in embodied emissions (scope 3)
management and recognize the importance of bringing a holistic ‘whole-life carbon’ approach
and solutions to the market.
If you are forward-thinking and interested in meaningful, purpose-driven work, helping real-world
decision-makers and influencers engage with and respond to the climate crisis and stay ahead
of the climate curve, we think you’d like it here.
Are we a fit?
We are always on the lookout for committed and passionate climate-change professionals
interested in contributing their talents in a challenging, energetic, and interdisciplinary
environment. If you feel you meet most of the qualifications we are looking for and are
determined to make a difference, we encourage you to apply. We promise to consider your