The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization with the vision of helping countries adapt to climate impacts. We will achieve this vision by working as a solutions broker to catalyse action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future.
GCA is a fast growing organisation with its headquarters in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, with a Research and Innovation hub in Groningen and with regional offices in Abidjan, Bangladesh and Beijing. GCA’s global strategy is implemented under three pillars of Knowledge, Programs, and Advocacy.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Legal Counsel at the Global Center on Adaptation, you will play a critical role in ensuring compliance with legal regulations and safeguarding the organization’s interests. You will be responsible for providing expert legal advice on a wide range of matters, including commercial contracts, privacy law, and good governance. In this role, you will collaborate closely with various departments to identify legal risks and provide guidance on the best course of action. You will be tasked with interpreting complex legal information and educating staff on relevant legal requirements. Reporting directly to the Director of Finance and Operations, this position requires a deep understanding of legal principles and the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced environment. Furthermore, you will be fulfilling the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide legal advice and guidance on contract management, including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts
- Advise on corporate law matters, including GCA’s corporate governance and compliance
- Advise on legal matters related to international organizations and government work, including compliance with international laws and regulations
- Participate in legal research and analysis to support the organization’s legal and business objectives
- Collaborate with internal departments such as procurement, finance and HR and other stakeholders to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for safeguarding sensitive information, such as data protection, intellectual property and privacy policies
- Provide guidance and support to internal stakeholders on the interpretation and implementation of contract provisions
- Provide regular reports to management on t any potential risks and/or compliance issues.
- Handle a wide range of multi-disciplinary, highly complex, and often sensitive and/or conflicting legal matters involving issues relating to regional and national law, including the interpretation and application of legal instruments.
- Provide legal advice on diverse range of substantive and procedural questions of law.
- Contribute to review and design of new, or new applications of, legal instruments, policy, guidelines, etc.
Procurement and Partnerships
- Provide legal support for procurement activities and disputes, including drafting and review of procurement documents and advising on procurement regulations
- Draft, negotiate, and revise contracts with external partners, including service agreements, donor or implementing partner agreements, and Memorandum of Understanding contracts
- Ensure that all contracts with external partners are in compliance with relevant laws and regulations
- Provide legal advice and guidance to HR on a wide range of topics, including employment law, labor law, and discrimination laws
- Review and revise employment contracts, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance with legal requirements
- Assist HR with investigations of employee complaints and grievances, and provide guidance on appropriate resolution
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards ; Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments ; Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets time line for delivery of product or services to client.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law, International law or related fields is required.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in the field of law.
- fluency in English and Dutch is required.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND BENEFITS
The GCA offers a dynamic, high-profile and international working environment in a growing organisation. You will be contributing to our global mission on climate adaptation. Colleagues at GCA will have the opportunity to strengthen core skills, develop a deeper understanding and expertise in a range of climate adaptation concepts and principles, and build a strong network of experts and leaders. Remuneration is aligned with salary structures in the Netherlands.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply at opportunities.gca.org by submitting your CV and cover letter in English before 26 February 2023. Kindly mention the date as of which you would be available to start in Rotterdam.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES STATEMENT
The GCA celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We welcome applications from all candidates who meet the qualifications.
Thank you for sharing this vacancy with suitable candidates.