The LUT School of Business and Management is looking for a junior researcher (doctoral student) in regenerative business strategies to strengthen its Strategy and Accounting team.
We are looking for a curious mind who is interested in the role of businesses in sustainability transformations and in circular economy. We are particularly interested in the question of how firms can develop strategies that allow for the regeneration of environmental and social systems in alignment with capturing economic value.
The doctoral student will be jointly supervised by Professor Paavo Ritala (LUT University, School of Business and Management, Finland) and Professor Nancy Bocken (Maastricht University, Maastricht Sustainability Institute, The Netherlands). The doctoral student is expected to spend time at Maastricht during the doctoral studies as part of a collaborative double degree doctorate degree.
You must have a higher university degree (M.Sc. or equivalent) in a relevant field (e.g., business and management, industrial management and engineering, sustainability sciences) and the ability and motivation to complete the doctoral studies within their normative duration (i.e., four years). Excellent written and verbal English language skills are required. Applicant whose first language is not English may be asked to take the IELTS Test.
- be interested in writing a dissertation on research areas such as:
- regenerative strategies and business models
- collaborations, networks, and ecosystems that facilitate regenerative strategies
- net-positive impact of businesses on environment and society
- have basic knowledge on sustainable strategies and business models, and qualitative and/or action-oriented research methods
- be ready to collaborate with companies and other stakeholders on your research area, both in Finland and in The Netherlands
- be ready to move to Lappeenranta, Finland (the location of the main campus of LUT University), to conduct the majority of the doctoral studies
- be ready to spend approx. 3-6 months at Maastricht University, The Netherlands, during the doctoral studies (funding for travel costs included in the position)
- Completion of the doctoral degree within four years
- Participation in research projects
- Assisting in teaching
What we offer
- An opportunity to launch a successful, international academic career and to become an expert in sustainable and regenerative business
- A four-year (1+3 years) employment contract for completing the doctoral degree
- An employment contract can be concluded only if the candidate obtains the right to pursue postgraduate studies at LUT University
- The contract will be made initially for one year and can be extended by three years provided that the studies and research have progressed successfully
- Encouraging and supportive supervision by, and research collaboration with Professor Paavo Ritala (LUT University, School of Business and Management) and Professor Nancy Bocken (Maastricht University, Maastricht Sustainability Institute, The Netherlands).
The work will start in March–April 2023 (negotiable) with a six-month trial period. The job is based in Lappeenranta, Finland. The typical gross annual starting salary for a junior researcher is approximately 30,800 euros (plus a holiday bonus in accordance with the collective agreement).