Are you curious about career opportunities in a policy institute? Are you passionate about a sustainable future?
Chatham House, the Royal Institute of International Affairs, is a world leading independent policy institute based in London. As a global think tank, our mission is to help build a sustainably secure, prosperous and just world.
An internship at Chatham House offers an invaluable learning experience through a six-month placement in one of our host teams. Working closely with a host team, you will enjoy dedicated development time and opportunities to learn and improve skills. Your assigned mentor will support and guide you throughout the internship, suggesting training opportunities and helping you define your professional and career goals.
This full-time internship will be made up of two parts, with 2.5 days as part of the Environment and Society Programme and 2.5 days as part of the Sustainability Accelerator Programme.
The Environment and Society Programme focuses on the interlinked threats of climate change, biodiversity loss and resource depletion, and the profound risks they create in security, geopolitics and international development
The Sustainability Accelerator engages with innovators and policymakers to research and share innovative ideas that will help the world to accelerate towards a sustainable future.
The intern’s time will be split between the two dynamic teams, working collaboratively across a wide range of topics and projects, while supporting operations, events and social media engagement.
If you want to gain practical experience in a policy institute and develop skills and knowledge across a range of different areas, we would love to hear from you!
In return, successful applicants will gain direct exposure to the work of a leading international affairs institute and will have the opportunity to be part of and attend many of Chatham House’s workshops and other events. You will learn valuable research, writing, data analysis and event organization skills and benefit from direct involvement in a number of research projects across a wide range of topics.
We are an equal opportunity employer; we value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of protected characteristics. We encourage applications from all backgrounds. If there is anything we can do to improve your experience or support you, please contact us on [email protected]
Through your intellectual curiosity, creativity and passion for our mission, this is an exciting chance to benefit from direct involvement in projects across a wide range of topics, while supporting operations, events and social media engagement.
No day will be the same, you will have an opportunity to get involved in a variety of tasks including:
- Support the efficient running of our diverse teams, providing project, events, administration and research support;
- Assist our teams in all aspects of project development and delivery, e.g. evidence reviews, writing up draft documents, taking detailed minutes at meetings, drafting and proofreading content, external engagement;
- Compile literature reviews, initial editing of research publications, acting as a rapporteur at meetings, and carrying out other background research as required;
- Assist us with collating and analysing qualitative and quantitative data to support ongoing research;
- Work collaboratively to help convene high-level meetings, events, roundtables and workshops on topical issues of importance;
- Support Chatham House expand its network and influence through targeted and creative social medial engagement;
- Positively impact our outreach by drafting engaging content for our audiences (newsletters, invites and social media posts).
- You will be able to demonstrate strong interest in climate change and environmental topics, and/or innovative ideas and solutions for a sustainable future;
- Demonstrate passion and interest for Chatham House and what we do;
- Be an idea generator, never shy with sharing your thoughts;
- Writing and communication skills;
- A good sense of time management skills;
- Shows a willingness to proactively take on new challenges and responsibilities;
- Takes ownership of assigned tasks and ensures timely delivery of outputs;
- Adapts to changing circumstances and work demands;
- Actively seeks opportunities to improve knowledge skills and learning attributes through personal development;
- Detail orientated and able to work under tight deadlines whilst balancing various tasks;
- A team worker, able to work with people at all levels;
- A social person with the ability to build rapport with colleagues.
As an intern you will enjoy access to a wide range of benefits including:
- A London Living Wage;
- A unique learning and development programme tailored to your personal goals;
- Networking with commentators, researchers and international policy-makers;
- Access to our Library, online eLibrary and at Chatham House;
- Access to our events, online and at Chatham House;
- Complimentary membership (subject to a performance evaluation).
To apply for this internship, you must be:
- Residing in the UK for the duration of the internship;
- In possession of a valid right to work in the UK, by the start of the internship programme;
- Aged 18 and over;
- Able to commit to a six-month full-time internship.
Hours: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Location: Hybrid (Office/Home)
Internship Start Date: 17th April 2023
Duration: Six months
Interviews (conducted at Chatham House, in person): between 13th and 24th March 2023
Application process: Please complete the application form detailing your motivation, skills and experiences relevant to this role, and adhere to the word count. All applications will be anonymised upon receipt, ensuring that personal information will be withheld at the shortlisting stage.
PLEASE NOTE YOU CAN ONLY APPLY FOR ONE INTERNSHIP POSITION.
- Take some time to explore our website and research the team you are hoping to join; browse our publications, activities and projects we undertake to understand our mission and core values and how you can contribute;
- Thoroughly read through the information supplied in the advert focusing on the Key Responsibilities and Person Specification and align your application to the criteria;
- You should use your application form to demonstrate:
– your passion, knowledge, skills and/or experiences relevant to this internship;
– showcase any accomplishments to show what you have already achieved and what you hope to continue to develop and learn through your internship;
– outline what you can offer Chatham House/host team;
– detail why you want to work for that particular host team;
– show that you match what we’re looking for in an intern.
- Ensure that you take time to read through the form to check for any errors or omissions, you will not be able to make any changes once the form has been submitted.
- Please check the closing date of the role carefully. You will not be able to submit your application after this date.
Closing Date: Monday 6th February 2023 at 10.00am GMT. You will be notified on the status of your application within 6 weeks of the closing date.