This is a strategic role, providing for the design and implementation of Biogen’s Sustainability initiative and action plans. Identifies trends in the external and internal environment, recognizes risks and opportunities and uses insights gained to formulate a comprehensive competitive strategy for the business relative to operational and reputational challenges and opportunities (e.g. emerging regulatory obligations, internal and external stakeholder expectations).
Effective interaction at all levels of the company (to include the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors) is expected.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
1. Sustainability – Provides leadership and direction on all environmental sustainability matters and drives Biogen’s internal and external infrastructure commitments:
- Energy: Maintains 100% renewable electricity usage globally; establishing Fossil Fuel Free (FFF) operations by 2040 (net zero across value chain by 2045)
- Fleet: Ensures transition to 100% electri fleet by 2027
- Green Chemistry: Drives adoption of sustainable drug development targets across company.
- Suppliers: Collaborate with suppliers to establish targets and action plans for a sustainable end-to-end supply chain.
- Other: Develop and drive targets and action plans for packaging, water and waste sustainability, and employee engagement.
- Engage with both federal and local agencies to identify, track, and communicate investment rebate opportunities for projects.
- Identify new technology and innovations and assess feasibility and risk to support Sustainability goals.
2. Environmental/Sustainability Reporting – Oversees the compiling, updating, and analyzing environmental programs (wastewater, air emissions, waste) and data to ensure proper compliance with government regulations and management of our environmental footprint.
3.Network Support – Assist in developing Site Master plans in support of Sustainability targets. Provide ad hoc support to the manufacturing and supply network and EH&S site based teams on operational activities, investigations and strategic planning.
4. Other: other job duties that may be assigned from time to time
WHO YOU ARE:
If you are an effective leader passionate about sustainability and you possess a strong engineering background, this position is ideal for you.
This position will provide you the ability to have a high impact on our sustainability strategy while interacting with all levels of our organization.
- Engineering degree required – mechanical, chemical, electrical or environmental engineering preferred.
- BS and 15+ years of technical experience or MS/PhD and 10+ years technical experience. At least 5 years should be directly linked to sustainability functions.
- Experience in sustainable plant and facilities engineering and practices with progressively larger and more complex scopes of responsibility/projects.
- Experience with CAPEX budgeting and management, project delivery and equipment acquisition processes.
- Experience in leading external engineering services and consultants to deliver facilities or modifications.
- Experience in implementing and managing engineering solutions in a regulated environment.