Result of Service
The consultant is expected to carry out the following activities:
• Become familiar with the work already undertaken as part of the first phase of the GLAD nomenclature project
• Participate/coordinate the GLAD Nomenclature working group meetings
• Master the content of the GLAD Nomenclature Resource Package available on GitHub
• Participate, as learning, in the maintenance and updates of the GitHub Nomenclature Resource Package that will be conducted by the members of the Nomenclature Working Group (e.g., versions updates for EF (3.1), ecoinvent (3.9) and IDEA (3.2))
• Be responsible for coordinating with relevant stakeholders, and managing the systematic maintenance of the GitHub Resource Package (including updates and addition of further resources)
• Attend the GLAD/GLAM meetings and report progress to the GLAD TMG, ensuring concrete synergies are put in place
• Map what are the key issues limiting interoperability and develop how GLAD/GLAM can contribute to addressing these challenges
• Design and validate the blueprint for the system required for the development of a common system to map the elementary flows (EF) lists from major LCA databases For that:
o Engage with and coordinate inputs from various groups of stakeholders such as the GLAD Technical Management Group and Working Groups, the Global LCA Impact Assessment Method (GLAM) task forces, major software providers, database developers, method developers. This includes and is not limited to identify suitable dates, setting-up bilateral and as well multi-stakeholder meetings to gain consensus, drafting agenda, circulate minutes/key action items; conduct follow-ups
o Organize validation workshop for the blueprint, including the draft governance structure and sustainability strategy
o Develop, with inputs from key stakeholders, governance rules and procedures on maintaining the common system, call for proposal to select the organization that will maintain and govern the common system, including evaluation criteria and soring template.
12 months, renewable for one additional year depending on performance and funds availability
Duties and Responsibilities
UNEP is seeking to engage a consultant to take the role of mapping coordinator to design and validate the blueprint for a common nomenclature governance system to map the elementary flows (EF) lists from major LCA databases. The mapping coordinator will be required to engage with and coordinate inputs from various groups of stakeholders such as the GLAD Technical Management Group and Working Groups, the Global LCA Impact Assessment Method (GLAM) task forces, major software providers, database developers, method developers, etc.
The consultancy position is placed within the Life Cycle Initiative, hosted by UN Environment Programme. In 2020, the Life Cycle Initiative launched the Global Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) Data Access network (GLAD): https://www.globallcadataaccess.org. GLAD is the largest directory of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) datasets, from independent LCA database providers, from around the world. GLAD aims to achieve better LCA data accessibility and interoperability to support policy makers and businesses in their decision-making processes.
GLAD is an open-source system with all documentation available here: https://www.globallcadataaccess.org/documentation . The GLAD Nomenclature Resource Package has been released in May 2022 and is available on GitHub. The repository contains elementary flow lists, mapping files, guidance for developers of data format exchange converters as well as documentation of common mapping issues and proposed solutions.
To continue the work initiated and further advance data interoperability in LCA the consultancy position is needed to coordinate and advance the preliminary efforts.
The consultant needs to fulfil the following requirements:
• Education: PhD or Master’s degree in environmental science or similar discipline, with a specialization in LCA.
• Work experience: At least 10 years work experience of progressively responsible experience in Life Cycle Assessments.
• Experience with a proven professional record of working with multiple nomenclature EF lists (e.g., EPA Federal Elementary Flow List, ILCD, ecoinvent, IDEA), multiple LCA software, databases and impact assessment methods.
• Experience in coordinating multi-stakeholder processes and in establishing and maintaining productive partnerships with clients and reaching consensus.
• In-depth knowledge and practical experience in a broad range of sustainability topics is required.
• Outstanding ability to communicate with stakeholders in both private and public sectors as well as desirable to communicate with the general public and press.
• Ability to “think out of the box” and to make innovative yet technically and economically feasible proposals
• Strong analytical skills based on desktop study and multi-stakeholder interview
• Demonstrates integrity in line with the UN’s values and ethical standards;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French and other UN languages is desirable.