About the role:
Edge Consultants is looking to hire an Embodied Carbon Consultant to support the firm’s growing sustainability division.
The successful candidate will possess a deep understanding of the carbon footprint associated with building materials and construction processes, and the ability to conduct robust whole building life cycle assessments (WBLCAs). Applicants should be passionate about sustainability, and self-directed, with an ability to produce high-quality work products.
The position is an intermediate role and based in Vancouver, British Columbia.
This is what a typical week will include:
- Assess and quantify the embodied carbon of building materials, construction methods, and demonstrate the impact of design choices through WBLCAs.
- Provide guidance to architects, designers, and construction teams on best practices to reduce embodied carbon.
- Develop reports, presentations, illustrations, and other content matter for project team members and clients.
- Work closely with suppliers and manufacturers to gather accurate data on material compositions and environmental product declarations (EPDs).
- Develop and maintain a database of regional low-carbon alternative materials and construction methods.
- Collaborate with internal teams to integrate embodied carbon considerations into design and decision-making processes.
- Research and keep informed about the latest developments in embodied carbon measurement and reporting, data, tools, industry guidelines and reports, and policy development.
- Network and participate in industry events with regional embodied carbon groups such as Carbon Leadership Forum (CLF).
We would love to hear from you if you have:
- Higher education in relevant fields such as environmental science, engineering, architectural studies, or other qualifications or an unrelated qualification combined with relevant work experience in the construction industry.
- Proven minimum two years experience in embodied carbon assessment and lifecycle analysis within the construction industry particularly experience in commercial and residential projects.
- Proficiency in lifecycle analysis software such as OneClick, Tally and Athena, as well as other embodied carbon calculators and tools such as Embodied Carbon in Construction Calculator (EC3).
- Proficient in reading architectural drawings and conducting take-off measurements in Revu and AutoCAD.
- Familiarity with REVIT is required.
- Familiarity with sustainable building rating tools such as LEED, WELL, REAP, City of Vancouver sustainable design and other regulatory requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present concepts and ideas to clients and project team members.
- Capability to interface with developers, general contractors, and consultants with strong client-facing and time management skills.
- A personable character with the ability to foster good working relationships.
- Ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Highly skilled in the use of Microsoft Office suite to create tools and resources to manage workflows, data, and information.
- Ability to use Adobe Illustrator, or PowerPoint for report writing presentations and illustrations.
- Willingness to network at industry events and participate in regional embodied carbon groups.
- Accreditation such as One Click LCA bootcamp certification is a bonus.
Edge Consultants stands as a prominent independent energy and sustainability consultancy in Canada. As a trusted building performance and sustainability consultancy, we combine expertise and innovation to deliver practical solutions. We provide clients with accurate and reliable data, enabling them to make informed decisions. Our fundamental values of clarity, quality, trust, innovation, and people not only define the essence of our company but also shape our daily pursuits. Our vision is to empower organizations and create a sustainable future for people and the planet.
If you’re looking for a workplace that gives you the opportunity to make positive changes in your career, as well as in the lives of our clients and the communities we support, we encourage you to join our talented team.
Applicants need to have legal authorization to work in Canada.
Kindly review the job qualifications thoroughly and apply only if you meet the minimum requirements outlined.
Relocation assistance is not available for this role.
Please apply for this position by sending an email to [email protected]. Your email should include a resume and a brief cover letter.
Edge Consultants is an equal-opportunity employer, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type as protected by federal, provincial, state, or local laws. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The company and its employees are required to comply with all local health authorities and legal or lawful client requirements.
Compensation and benefits:
- Salary range of $60,000-$80,000
- Additional annual bonuses in the region of 10% of base salary, based on company performance and individual contribution
- Enrollment in health benefits program
- Work-life balance with flexible 9 day-fortnight
- Paid time off – 20 vacation days
- This position is primarily office-based, located in Vancouver, allowing for optimal team collaboration and a hands-on approach to learning our processes and systems. After an initial period of integration and performance evaluation, typically six months, we offer the flexibility to incorporate some remote work into your schedule. This hybrid approach is designed to balance effective teamwork and in-person interaction with the convenience and flexibility that remote work provides.
- A workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work
- Challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and career.