MASS is seeking a full-time Director of Structural Engineering to join our team in Kigali. We are looking for an experienced, creative structural engineer to take on a lead role on multiple exciting projects across the African continent. We are committed to seeking innovative, sustainable structural solutions across a range of impactful projects and the selected candidate will work integrally with the architecture team as well as our multidisciplinary engineering team. We’re looking for someone with technical expertise, a creative flair and a collaborative mindset who is able to lead the design and realization of climate resilient and climate positive structures.
We welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, with a special emphasis on encouraging women to apply. We are dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive team environment.
- Managing and developing teams to deliver complex projects with up to $20million construction value from concept design to construction supervision. Ability to lead multiple smaller projects ($5-$10M construction cost) concurrently.
- Oversees the structural engineering design process, including conceptual and technical development, through all phases of the design process including concept, schematic, design development and production of construction documents. Responsible for signing off as Engineer of Record.
- Responsible for scheduling of work for team/discipline. Looking 6 months ahead in planning team/project work.
- Supports architectural teams in early-stage design phases and construction teams through technical problem-solving.
- Strong ability to mentor and develop the capacity of junior staff.
- Responsible for adequate quality control and checking on all work in their discipline/project. In addition to detailed checking – ability to sense-check results of the analysis carried out by team members.
- Responsible for managing schedules and budgets associated with structural engineering design.
- Responsible for managing internal and external project communications, coordination and documentation associated with their discipline.
- May lead or support client communications related to project design and management.
- 8+ years working experience in a Structural Engineering Design role.
- Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) degree in Structural Engineering or similar.
- Registered as Corporate Engineer with the Institution of Engineers Rwanda, or registered/chartered with an internationally recognized institution (those not registered in Rwanda may be required to register within 6 months)
- Must have excellent schematic design skills with the ability to define a variety of appropriate, cost effective structural solutions while prioritizing materials that are low in embodied carbon.
- Must have technical expertise in structural engineering analysis and design, with the ability to develop structural schemes into affordable, efficient and buildable solutions.
- Ability to guide and review structural calculations and drawing production by junior staff members.
- Must have an eye for detail and good presentation skills for all documents produced.
- Confidence to take responsibility for their own structural design.
- Ability to support site teams through the realization of designs through construction.
- Experience setting up appropriate teams with clear project roles and work plans, coordinating between disciplines, managing project schedules and budgets, and training and mentoring less experienced team members.
- Ability to communicate across a broad group of stakeholders including senior staff, partners/clients and the communities they serve.
Desired Additional Skills/Experience:
- A Master of Engineering (MEng) degree in Structural Engineering or similar.
- Autodesk drawing suite, particularly AutoCAD and Revit, to produce 3D models and 2D drawings.
- Oasys GSA, ETABS, Autodesk Robot, TEDDS or other similar structural design softwares. Ability to work seamlessly between softwares.
- Parametric modeling and visual coding softwares such as Grasshopper and Dynamo to help develop structural geometries or make design workflows more efficient.
- Experience developing standards and protocols, driving efficiency, quality and safety.
- Experience in cost management of design and construction as related to structural engineering.
- Experience in “Embodied Carbon Calculation” for building structures.