Netflix is the world’s leading streaming entertainment service with over 200 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Read our culture memo
to learn more about how we work.
Netflix exists to entertain the world, and that requires a habitable world to entertain. Which is why environmental sustainability is important to us at Netflix. See more about Netflix Sustainability here.
- Contribute to Netflix’s stated public commitments to halve our greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and net annual residual emissions to zero starting in 2022, and every year after
- Work across the entertainment and other industries to further sophisticate and embed carbon accounting and assurance techniques into corporate practice
- Leverage Netflix’s innovative and fast-paced culture to make impact fast
- Report to Netflix’s Director of Net Zero + Nature, work in one of the top sustainability teams, and at one of the most-respected companies in the world
Role and Responsibilities
- The Manager will oversee calculation of our annual carbon footprint, automation of emissions data collection and analysis, and 3rd party assurance against prevailing standards (i.e. Greenhouse Gas Protocol, Science-Based Target Initiative (SBTi), etc). The Manager will partner closely with the ESG Director for disclosures to investors and governments. These responsibilities include:
- Support Data Analyst in annual footprint data collection and analysis
- Collection, storage, and management of energy, spend, vendor data from across the company and suppliers.
- Identification and evaluation of carbon accounting best practices, updated methods, and the latest emission factors from accepted external sources.
- Quantification and presentation of Netflix’s annual carbon footprint and related analyses to support GHG reductions strategies and stakeholder engagement.
- Qualify M&A activities to be folded into footprint or may trigger rebaselining
- Stay apprised with external guidance and industry best practices in boundaries for Scope 3
- Author the Basis of Reporting document for the footprint and co-author the Basis of Reporting document for emissions reductions
- Continued implementation of enterprise carbon accounting software to automate carbon footprint data collection and analysis.
- Set-up of software to enable emissions reductions forecasting and tracking.
- Improvement of methods and processes to streamline the collection, storage, and verification of footprint data.
- Continually seek ways to improve data structuring and refreshing
- Together with Internal Audit and Finance, continuous improvement of internal processes, controls, and governance related to carbon footprint data.
- Obtain assurance from 3rd party auditors for the carbon footprint, reductions, and decarbonization roadmap.
- Ensure alignment with GHG Protocol, SBTi and other relevant accounting and disclosure standards that emerge (e.g. ISO, ISSB)
- With the ESG Director, partner to create accurate, thorough, and consistent disclosures to investors and governments
- Manage mandatory reporting process with Financial Reporting and Corporate Finance in relevant countries
- Guide cross-company team composed of in-house staff, technical consultants, auditors, and software vendors
- Master’s degree or equivalent practical technical, quantitative, or project experience in the sustainability field.
- 9+ years practical experience in greenhouse gas accounting, methods, data collection and management, data integrity controls, disclosure and verification.
- 5+ years of managerial experience
- Experience implementing carbon accounting software at a major company
- Ability to create clear findings from large data sets
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing fast-paced projects with multiple players across cross-functional teams.
- Ideally, experience with greenhouse gas accounting software and tools.
- Familiarity with sustainability-related disclosure standards, data controls, or third-party assurance processes.
- Strong technical communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to address a wide range of audiences including non-experts in other functions at Netflix.
- Preference for Los Gatos or Los Angeles, California.
- Majority of team works remotely but largest contingent is based in Los Angeles
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $165,000 – $470,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy.
Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here