At EY, we believe sustainability is the innovation opportunity of our lifetime. Enterprises and people are inspired now more than ever to do the right thing, to collaborate, innovate and accelerate to a more sustainable future. Our Climate Change and Sustainability Services (CCASS) team is growing exponentially, and as a consultant within the team you’ll play a key role in that growth. Working in a dynamic and purpose-led team, you’ll develop your career through exceptional diverse experience advising our clients in a range of ESG risks and opportunities to create shared long-term value.
The nature of this role means no two projects will be the same. That means you’ll need to think on your feet and challenge existing practices to develop answers to complex issues. You’ll also be collaborating with colleagues across multiple service lines and disciplines to provide our clients with integrated solution, so a key part of your role will be to build relationships and develop talent. In a modern hybrid working environment supported by cutting-edge technology, travel and on-site work will still be required from time-to-time as you will be meeting with key clients and overseeing engagement teams.
Skills and attributes for success
The successful candidate will have some experience in ESG advisory and ideally helping our clients to define strategies to address climate change as part of their corporate sustainability journeys.
· Consulting experience with clients on sustainability and climate change related topics, spanning research and analysis of relevant matters, development of presentations and models to support decision making and communications and project management skills
· Working as part of Engagement teams to understand our clients’ unique needs, ambitions and expectations and to deploy appropriate strategies and tools to meet these
· Building relationships with colleagues across multiple service lines to provide seamless integrated service
· Managing performance and identifying opportunities to improve our products and processes
· An appetite to grow and develop as part of a networked and diverse organisation
To qualify for the role, you must have
· A degree or postgraduate degree (preferably a Master’s-level degree) in a technical climate change field (e.g., environmental management, energy engineering, climate change), as well as experience and/or qualifications in a business management-related field (e.g., financial, legal, change management, strategy etc.) and 3 years of relevant experience
· Strong technical writing skills and advanced analytical skills
· Experience in climate change specific topics will be an advantage, such as:
- Ability to complete GHG assessments and carbon accounting in line with good international practice, e.g., ISO 14064 and the GHG Protocol Corporate Standard
- Understanding of the South African regulatory regime for climate change, including carbon tax, pollution prevention plans, energy management plans, carbon offsets, carbon budgets and energy reporting
- Exposure to various climate change disclosures such as the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) or Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), and potentially experience in assurance of climate change related sustainability data as part of company’s annual reporting in line with GRI/ SABS
- Other potential skills related to Life-cycle assessment (LCA) and related cradle to grave assessment tools, energy (resource) efficiency assessments and management systems in line with ISO 50001, Science Based Targets development, and Marginal Abatement Cost Curves (MACC)
What we look for:
We’re interested in versatile people with the ability to take on new responsibilities and listen to clients to get things done. We’re not just looking for sustainability experience — we’re after genuinely interesting people with the ability to build relationships, negotiate and think in unique and creative news ways. If you’re a confident leader with a curious mind and the ability to solve complex issues, this role is for you.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognised for the value you bring to our business.
Plus, we offer
- A collaborative environment where everyone works together to create a better working world
- Excellent training and development prospects, both through established programs and on-the-job training
- The EY Sustainability MBA, offered in association with Hult International Business School, through its innovative virtual learning mode is available to all EY employees
- An excellent team of senior colleagues dedicated to managing and varying your work