The European Environmental Bureau (EEB) is looking for a Associate Policy Officer for Chemicals
The European Environmental Bureau is the largest and most inclusive European network of environmental citizens’ groups – and the only one that works on such a broad range of issues. We advocate for progressive policies to create a better environment in the European Union and beyond.
The Associate Policy Officer will join our Chemicals Policy team, part of the EEB’s EU Policy Division. The successful candidate will work in a highly motivated team to build a non-toxic environment. With the adoption of the European Green Deal by the European Commission, both European Parliament and Council are expected to further develop the EU’s zero pollution ambition, notably with the revision of the main chemicals’ laws. The candidate will support the EEB to contribute to the implementation of the EU Chemicals Strategy for Sustainability, in particular the revision of the REACH and CLP regulations and support networking with our members and other NGOS.
The Associate Policy Officer will report to the Deputy Manager of the Chemicals Policy team.
- Supporting the chemicals policy team with networking and NGO capacity building activities;
- Representing the EEB in the AskREACH campaign;
- Helping to organise events, webinars, conferences on chemicals policy;
- Assisting in policy-relevant research;
- Collaborating, coordinating and exchanging information with current and potential partners;
- Contributing to fundraising, applications and reporting exercises.
Skills and experience:
- Degree in Environment / Sustainable Development / EU affairs or similar;
- Previous experience, either through internships or volunteering, with advocacy and campaigning;
- Understanding of issues related to chemical policies through previous internships, volunteering or research projects;
- Experience with coordination, organisation and networking;
- Being comfortable with working with technical partners;
- Knowledge of the functioning of the EU Institutions is an asset;
- Knowledge of key trends and experience using social media at work;
- High level of written and spoken English (native speaker or equivalent);
- Flexibility around working times, as necessary;
- Subscribes to the EEB’s values and the mission of the toxic-free future campaign.
The EEB offers:
- A competitive salary (with a minimum EUR 2500 gross monthly salary depending on experience) coupled with various additional benefits including holiday bonus, 13th month, pension scheme, luncheon vouchers;
- A full-time fixed term contract of 24 months from December 2022 to December 2024;
- A dynamic, friendly, flexible working environment;
- An organisation committed to our values of democracy, fairness, respect, integrity and sustainability.
How to apply:
Applications consisting of 1) a letter of motivation, and 2) a comprehensive CV should be sent to [email protected]. Please clearly mark: “Associate Policy Officer for Chemicals” in the subject of your email.
Location: During COVID-19 times, the EEB is following government recommendations to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all its staff. As our contracts fall under Belgian law, the candidate must commit to being officially registered in Belgium and working most of the time from our office in Brussels. This currently entails structural teleworking (with at least 1 day in the office per week depending on the position).
Deadline for Application: 23 October 2022
Interviews first round: Last week of October/ First week of November 2022
Starting date: 01/12/2022
Please note that we will ask shortlisted candidates to provide two references.
The EEB is an equal-opportunities and family-friendly employer. We encourage applications from a diverse range of candidates.
Due to limited staff resources and numbers of applications anticipated, only candidates selected for interviews will receive a reply.