Date:24 October, 2023
Organiser:IGBC - Irish Green Building Council
Are you a developer, planner, architect, landscape architect, or any other planning/building/environmental professional? Do you want to learn more about biodiversity in the built environment?
The IGBC is delighted to launch its first masterclass focusing on the design and application of green infrastructure to deliver measurable gains in biodiversity. As a number of countries and the EU taxonomy for sustainable activities introduce new requirements on biodiversity and the built environment, this masterclass will cover policy and economic drivers, as well as how and when to design and specify green infrastructure to meet biodiversity net gain outcomes. The masterclass will also include extensive case study references to show how biodiversity can be successfully integrated within the built form.
Learning outcomes include:
- The importance of biodiversity and threats posed to nature
- Policy & legislative drivers relating to biodiversity & the built environment
- An understanding of the concepts of green infrastructure (GI), nature-based solutions (NBS) and biodiversity net gain (BNG)
- The benefits of biodiverse GI for people and business
- Forms & functions of differing GI typologies
- How and when to design and specify GI to meet BNG outcomes
- How to calculate BNG on development projects
No previous experience or knowledge of biodiversity or green infrastructure is required. The session will encourage open discussion and questions so that attendees can get the most from their time.