About The Role
As part of our Group Finance Division here at BOQ Group (including Bank of Queensland (BOQ), ME Bank, Virgin Money Australia and BOQ Specialist), an opportunity has become available as Head of Sustainability.
Reporting to the General Manager Investor Relations & ESG, the role is responsible for BOQ’s sustainability strategy, targets and reporting. This role engages at Board and Executive Team level, as well as across the organisation, to ensure sustainability leadership and alignment of these areas to the overarching business strategy and direction.
- Sustainability Subject Matter Expert: Key BOQ Group SME on all sustainability and climate related matters including regular monitoring and materiality assessment of emerging ESG issues including environmental, animal welfare and natural capital, and climate risk concerns and provision of advice on evolving Group activities accordingly. This includes provision of advice or leading progress on the development of sustainable lending, investment, or debt products.
- Sustainability Strategy Development: Responsible for the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of the bank’s sustainability strategy and targets to align with its overall business objectives, regulatory obligations, stakeholder expectations and industry best practices.
- New accounting standards: Leading business readiness and compliance with new climate related accounting standards.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Represent BOQ Group while building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, such as customers, employees, investors, industry associations, non-governmental organisations, and regulators to gather input and feedback on sustainability initiatives.
- Sustainability Reporting: Oversee the preparation of internal and external sustainability reporting processes managed by the Sustainability team and ensuring effective engagement with external assurance providers to enable timely independent sign-off of disclosures including TCFD and BOQ Sustainability Supplement. This includes preparation of Board and Executive Team reports.
- Sustainability Governance: Oversee governance of sustainability issues across the Group and ensuring Board, Executive Team and senior leaders are abreast of current and emerging environmental, social, and climate regulatory requirements.
- BOQ Group Climate Action: Oversee development and implementation of BOQ Group’s climate change program including development of the carbon procurement strategy, execution of the 100% renewables program, emissions reduction strategy and compliance with external body membership requirement.
- Manage relationships and engagement with ESG research analysts and ratings agencies.
- Managing and leading the BOQ Sustainability Working Group.
The successful incumbent for this role will be able to demonstrate the following skills, alongside a minimum of 8 years’ experience in a similar role:
- Deep understanding of key sustainability frameworks and principles including the GRI reporting framework, UN Sustainable Development Goals, and the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures recommendations
- Extensive experience working within the sustainability field, ideally within a financial services organisation
- Highly effective communication and interpersonal skills including influencing and consulting, with demonstrated ability to facilitate group discussions, negotiate outcomes and build effective relationships with key stakeholders at all levels
- Proven expertise in the implementation and ongoing enhancement of reporting in accordance with the GRI framework
- Good knowledge of TCFD reporting requirements and proven experience of preparation of compliant external disclosures
- Relationship management
Bank of Queensland Group is a truly unique group of challenger brands with a purpose – to provide a genuine alternative to Australian financial services for customers and employees.
Our family of brands (Bank of Queensland (BOQ), ME Bank, Virgin Money Australia, BOQ Specialist), each come with their own defined customer audience and brand personality, but share one goal – to build social capital through banking. That’s creating trust with customers, exploring staff potential and believing that tiny gestures and big ideas can change the world for communities.
BOQ Group’s inclusive vision is to foster a workspace that values and leverages difference and creates new possibilities, a place where our people feel confident to bring their best selves to work every day. We embrace difference and believe that our workforce should reflect the customers and communities that we serve.
Since 2021 BOQ Group is recognised as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA).
In 2023, we successfully implemented an innovative Reconciliation Plan, driving positive change and promoting inclusivity across the BOQ group.
- Flexible working arrangements
- Discounted financial products
- Salary sacrificing options
- Paid parental leave with no minimum
- Paid volunteer days
- Purchase annual leave
- Discounted private health insurance plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Access to employee network groups focused on First Nations Reconciliation, LGBTQIA+, Multicultural, Gender, Early Careers and accessibility
- BOQ Group is a member of Pride in Diversity and a participating organisation in the Australian Workplace Equality Index