UCL is an ambitious and forward-looking organisation committed to a sustainable future, as demonstrated by the launch of our Grand Challenges, and particularly the theme of Climate Crisis. The UCL Sustainability team have made great progress over the last decade, but we are now embarking on a new chapter, actively aligning vision with delivery.
UCL is large and complex, with an Estate of over 240 buildings, more than 6.5 million square feet of academic accommodation and around 4000 student bedrooms. The central London location, scale, variety, and complexity are unparalleled in the sector, including research, teaching, offices, and student accommodation within our Bloomsbury and UCL East campus at Stratford.
We’re looking for a Director of Sustainability to take our ambitious sustainability agenda forwards. It’s a chance to play an absolutely key role in the future of a world-leading, progressive organisation.
The job comes with a highly competitive six figure salary and excellent benefits.
About the role
As our Director of Sustainability, you’ll transform and lead a team of professional staff, ensuring that our world-class university has sustainability at its core, and that sustainability is considered in all that we do.
Things you’ll be doing in this job include:
• Working with senior academic colleagues as the senior professional lead in developing and implementing a comprehensive sustainability strategy
• Leading a team of people passionate about sustainability from across UCL to deliver that strategy
• Managing and delivering the plan, on time, to budget
• Transforming the sustainability team focus into being more delivery oriented, working across Estates and UCL more broadly to achieve our plans
• Working with the organisation’s Portfolios to agree resource for a wide range of projects focused on our sustainable agenda
• Leading key stakeholder engagement and integrating service delivery to ensure excellent service, meeting agreed targets and UCL objectives
• Driving a safety culture across the team and with all suppliers to secure delivery of a safe, healthy, and secure environment for students, staff, and visitors
To do this job you’ll have a track record of demonstrable success within in a senior sustainability role in a large, complex organisation. You’ll have experience in delivering a Sustainability strategy, in people leadership, and successful programme management and delivery.
You’ll be able to provide professional, technical, and strategic sustainability advice at a senior management level within UCL, to identify and implement opportunities for improvement and the management of change. You’ll have a clear and robust understanding of the urgent case for climate action, and an ability to communicate this knowledge and explain it to others. You’ll have a history of strong partnership working, stakeholder engagement, and bidding for external funding.
If you have an understanding of Safety management, and experience in the active delivery of this, that’s great. But if you don’t, and you think you tick our other boxes, we’d still love to hear from you.
What we offer
As well as the exciting opportunities this role presents, we also offer some great benefits some of which are below:
• 41 Days holiday (27 days annual leave 8 bank holiday and 6 closure days)
· Additional 5 days’ annual leave purchase scheme
• Defined benefit career average revalued earnings pension scheme (CARE)
• Cycle to work scheme and season ticket loan
· Immigration loan
· Relocation scheme for certain posts
• On-Site nursery
• On-site gym
• Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption pay
• Employee assistance programme: Staff Support Service
• Discounted medical insurance