In this role you will:
- Generate brand affinity and organic growth by developing proactive research and collaboration with the largest media outlets such as CNN, NBC, ABC, Fox News, Globe & Mail, Radio Canada, and more.
- Source and build Deep Sky’s database of data points by applying an econometric and statistical toolkit to provide impactful insight into climate risks and predictions.
- Identify and develop new data sources (internal and external) and incorporate them into analyses to improve our industry forecasts and expand the scope of our research.
- Design and implement ad hoc and automated analysis scripts, develop and deliver data visualizations and interactive tools to present your results.
- Transform complex analyses into short, compelling, and easy to understand studies to share with journalists aimed at a consumer audience.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders across Deep Sky in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
An ideal candidate has:
- A degree in Climate Science, Computer Science, Economics, Data Science, Math, Statistics or other quantitative discipline. Experience in oceanography and meteorology is a bonus. Advanced degree (e.g., Ph.D) highly preferred.
- A high level of comfort working in a fast-paced environment, often pulling together time-sensitive data reports based on timely world events in a short amount of time.
- The ability to distill complex subjects and data into compelling and understandable writeups.
- Geographic information systems (GIS) software skills and data visualization software experience is a bonus.
- Strong quantitative data analysis and creative problem-solving skills.
- Exposure to scripting with Python/R or other data preparation and analysis tools. Experience with Pandas/sklearn in particular is helpful.
- Experience querying relational databases using SQL. Knowledge of how to speed up queries for large datasets is helpful.
- Experience using data visualization libraries and software to creatively tell data stories.
- Strong written and verbal communication and collaboration skills.